• CN
  • AE
  • RU
  • IR
  • IN
  • FR
  • ES

Legalization of education document

Legalization is the procedure of putting a special stamp on the document in the country of issue after which it can be presented at the place of demand abroad.

First you need to go through the procedure of legalization of your education document. Usually you can do this at the Russian Consulate, but there are other options (details can be found on the Internet).

Legalization is the procedure of putting a special stamp on the document in the country of issue after which it can be presented at the place of demand abroad.

When it is not necessary to legalize educational documents

Legalization is not necessary when a treaty is concluded between the country of issue of the educational document and Russia, abolishing the requirements for legalization. As of 2020, these countries include:


Abkhazia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Vietnam, Georgia, India, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Kazakhstan, Cyprus, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Taiwan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, South Ossetia


Albania, Belarus, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary, Greece, Spain, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Finland, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech Republic, Estonia


Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia


Argentina, Cuba

Simplified legalization of education document (Apostille)

If the country which has issued the educational document has acceded to the 1961 Hague Convention abolishing the requirement of consular legalization of foreign official documents, then you have an opportunity to apostille the document. Apostille is convenient for those who in the future is planning to study or work not only at home but also in other countries.

The stamp «Apostille» is written on the original document or on a separate sheet, fastened with the document, and can be drawn up in the official language of the issuing body. Stamping «Apostille» is carried out by the competent authorized government of the country issuing the document.

To find out whether your country has acceded to The Hague Convention, contact details, cost of the procedure, the time of the competent authorities, as well as the timing of the service and the templates of the forms, you can visit the page of The Hague Convention, choosing the country of issuing of the education document.

After the stamp "Apostille" your document will be considered valid in more than 100 countries-parties to the convention, including Russia. By 2020 these countries include:


Bahrain, Brunei, Hong Kong, Israel, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Macao, Oman, Republic of Korea, Turkey, Philippines, Japan


Austria, Belgium, Great Britain, Germany, Gibraltar, Denmark, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Isle of Man, Portugal, San-Marino, North Macedonia, France, Switzerland, Sweden, Spitsbergen and Jan Mayen


Botswana, Burundi, Cape Verde, Kingdom of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), Lesotho, Liberia, Mauritius, Malawi, Morocco, Namibia, Reunion, Sao Tome and Principe, Saint Helena, Seychelles, Republic of South Africa

North America

Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba, Virgin Islands (British), Virgin Islands (USA), Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Honduras, Grenada, Greenland, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Curacao, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Panama City, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, St Maarten, USA, Trinidad and Tobago, El Salvador 

South America

Bolivia, Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana, Colombia, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Chile, Ecuador

Australia and Oceania

Australia, American Samoa, Vanuatu, Guam, Marshall Islands, Niue, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Norfolk Island, Cook Islands, Palau, Pitcairn, Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Tonga, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji, French Polynesia.

Common (consular) legalization

If there is no treaty between the country of issue of the document and Russia on the abolition of legalization or your country is not among the countries participating in The Hague Convention on the abolition of consular legalization, you need to undergo the procedure of consular legalization.


Изображение от rawpixel.com на Freepik

Ready to apply to the university? Register on the website and contact representatives of the admissions committee
We use technologies such as cookies to personalize content and ads, provide social media features, and analyze site traffic. In addition, we provide information about your use of our site to trusted partners in advertising and analytics.

Our partners may combine this information with other information that you have provided to them or that they have collected from your use of their services.

A cookie is a small piece of text sent to your browser from a website you visit. It helps the website to remember information about you, such as your preferred language and other settings. Cookies make your website browsing experience much more convenient. For more information about cookies, please visit: Privacy Policy and cookie